- WHAT'S NEW
- ABOUT US
- OUR PROGRAMS
- HOW YOU CAN HELP
- CONTACT US
Recipe: Roasted Salmon with Coffee BBQ Sauce
Roasted Salmon with Coffee BBQ Sauce
Prep Time: 30 minutes
1.5 lbs. salmon with skin
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 c. lightly brewed coffee (mild blend, light roast)
1/4 nutmeg, whole and grated
1/2 chile de arbol (or other dry, hot chili)
6 cloves, whole
1/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt + some to taste
pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine hot coffee, nutmeg, chile, cloves, sugar and 1 tsp. salt into a sauce pot. Whisk until sugar is dissolved.
3. Bring the mixture to a simmer (do not boil) and reduce by 1/3.
4. Cut the salmon into 5-6 oz portions. Score the skin of the salmon with a sharp knife at a 90 degree angle (slice just deep enough to see the pink salmon.)
5. Season both sides lightly with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
6. Heat a separate sauté pan (one that can also go into the oven) to medium-high heat, and add oil (oil should not smoke, so not too hot). Wait 10-15 seconds, lay the salmon skin-side down (add to the pan GENTLY with tongs – hot oil can splatter)
7. When the edges start turning golden brown, put the sauté pan into the oven.
8. Roast in the oven for 5 minutes, pull from the oven, and put back on the stove.
9. Add coffee sauce to salmon, deglaze pan, and reduce sauce by half.
10. Remove and plate the salmon, and using a spoon, add the BBQ sauce on top. You may have more than you need so you could freeze the rest into ice cube trays (pop out into freezer bag later) and use again at another date.
11. Serve with wilted sauté greens (mustard greens, kale, etc.) seasoned with lemon and garlic, and quinoa or cous cous.