Sweet Risotto with Fruit
This is a unique take on rice pudding using Arborio rice and preparing it is somewhat how you would a risotto. Remember, the rice texture should be a little crunchy. You can serve this prepared ahead, cold in the hot weather, or hot in the cold weather coming right off the stove. Change the fruit toppings based on the season.
3 cups Whole Milk
¼ cup Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
1 Vanilla Bean
1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
½ cup Arborio Rice
1 Orange, zest and juice
½ cup Coconut Milk
2 cups Seasonal Fruit
- In a large sauce pan, combine the first four ingredients (scrape the bean and add the pod).
- Bring to a simmer and remove from heat.
- In a 2nd large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and add the rice, stirring regularly for two minutes.
- Add the orange juice and zest and stir regularly for another 2 minutes.
- Add half of the warm milk mixture and stir regularly for another 5 minutes (should be at simmer, not boiling). The rice will absorb the liquid.
- Start adding the rest of the milk slowly, ½ cup at a time, stirring regularly.
- Once most of the liquid is absorbed, add the next ½ cup of milk. Make sure you don’t overcook the rice (remember the nutty
texture!). You may not use all of the remaining liquid. May take another 15-20 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, mix well and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Spoon into individual bowls/cups/glasses and top with seasonal berries, or even dice up apples, pears or peaches for the topping. Enjoy!