COVID-19 EMERGENCY RESPONSE EFFORTS
Review our January 2021 Impact Report here
The COVID-19 crisis reminds us of our deep interdependence and that our entire community’s health is affected when just one of our neighbors is unwell. Yet thousands of our neighbors experiencing homelessness in DC lack basic access to soap and water or a safe place to call home and are unable to adhere to the basic protocols of washing your hands and staying home when you are sick.
Miriam’s Kitchen has ramped up efforts to keep our guests experiencing homelessness and the wider community healthy, safe, and informed. Below are just a few examples:
- Serving over 300 meals a day (through our meals, street outreach, and housing programs) to individuals who have fewer resources—especially for food. As more people face food insecurity, the demand for meals will increase.
- Providing a two-week supply of pantry and essential items to enable our housing residents to safely shelter in place
- Stocking up on sanitation and cleaning supplies and stepping up cleaning protocols across programs
- Offering emergency funding to support guests needs on a case-by-case basis
- Moving meals and case management outside under a tent
- Purchasing extra cleaning supplies and stepping up hygiene protocols
Take a look at all of our COVID-19 reports here:
COVID-19 UPDATED SERVICES AND HOURS
To help protect the health and safety of guests, staff and volunteers, Miriam’s Kitchen has moved meals and case management outdoors to tents in the courtyard of Western Presbyterian Church (off of Virginia Avenue, NW). We ask that guests line up at least 6 feet apart. Staff will provide a pump of hand sanitizer to you before you enter the tent, and only 3 guests are allowed in the tent at one time. Guests needing handicap accessible bathrooms should notify staff and they will be escorted inside.
- Breakfast and light case management services: 7:00 am – 8:00 am
- Dinner and light case management services: 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- Access to bathrooms and sinks: 6:30 am – 5:00 pm (closed periodically for cleaning)
Will you donate today to support our emergency response to provide critical services to our neighbors experiencing homelessness?
Thank you to our partners who are leading with citizenship and kindness by joining our community response to COVID-19.