Welcome to Miriam’s Kitchen Families & Friends!
This is a resource page for families to find out fun ways to support MK and our guests.
We are so happy that you care about ending chronic homelessness and we appreciate your wanting to help us. Although on-site volunteers must be 18 years or over, there are still many ways in which students, families, schools and other groups can get involved at home. On this page are lots of projects and ideas for you to consider – hopefully a few of them will be a good fit for you. We believe that chronic homelessness is a community issue, and so we welcome all members of the community to help us in finding solutions.
There are two main ways that you can get involved:
1. Help with donations:
• Fundraise – help organize a fundraiser with your family, school, group, or friends. We are happy to provide support and advice every step of the way. We also welcome students, families and friends wishing to donate in lieu of receiving birthday gifts, and those working on their Bar and Bat Mitzvah projects. (Please click here for our A-Z Fundraising Ideas.)
• “Wish”-raise – Miriam’s Kitchen provides thousands of meals, blankets, and clothing to guests, so there are always items on our MK Wishlist. During the summer months, for example, there is an increased need for toiletries, while during the winter, our guests are in need of gloves and warm socks etc. Click here to see our current MK Wishlist.
2. Raise Awareness – become an MK Advocate:
Help us spread the word about our work in ending chronic homelessness and why it’s an important issue to you and to your community. There are a number of ways in which families and friends of MK can help us spread the word:
• Write one or more letters to your local civic leaders, outlining why ending chronic homelessness is important.
• Give a talk or presentation at your school, place of worship, community group and let people know why it is important that every person has a safe home in which to live. We are here to give you as much support, advice, and information as possible.
• Invite one of our speakers to give a talk or presentation at your school, place of worship or community group. We have a Speaker’s Bureau – guests and former guests of MK – who would love to come share their story. Please contact Lara Pukatch at email@example.com as she coordinates the Speaker’s Bureau.
The next step:
If you would like sign up to register your MK Families & Friends project and take the next step in helping us with our mission, please click the register button below. All persons under the age of 18 must include the name and contact number of a parent, guardian, teacher or lead adult whom we can contact for verification. Your safety is very important to us, so we ask that you also initial the MK Safety Guidelines. Thank you so much for your commitment!
REGISTER here: MK Families and Friends Registration
List of resources for families
A-Z Fundraising Ideas